A week ago, I got a brand
new old lens – the Industar-69 28 mm f/2.8. For a nice review, I’d like to redirect you to www.onemorelens.com. The lens itself has a few quirks…well, a lot of quirks. I got it as defective for about 7 USD. I bought it off a guy who claimed to be not very crafty (otherwise he would repair it himself 😀 ). When I got back home, I opened the lens and found the problem immediatelly. The lens itself is really simple in design.just one thread and that’s it. After being alive for about 40 years or so (I don’t know the exact year of production), the screws pressing focusing ring to the actual piece of optical elements have loosened and scratched the barrel pretty heavily. The metal dust produced set in the thread and effectively rendered the lens useless. It took a lot of force and accidentally cutting two of my fingers on the thread to disassemble it. Being of Russian make, it felt appropriate to clean and degrease the thread with vodka and it worked very well. I then re-greased it with a small bit of cosmetic vaseline (I had nothing better at hand) and removed the stopper screws. That allowed me to reduce the minimal focusing distance from 80 cm to about 25 (before I actually unscrew the optics from the lens :D). However, I still can not focus to infinity with it, as that will take a little bit more of manually destroying the lens – it’s a knows issue with this lens. BUT HEY, now I have a bright 28 mm lens that let me focus on thing up to about 5 meters away. It is definately not an ideal walk-around lens, but it has some nice characteristics. Also, even with the L39-NEX adapter, it is quite flat and paired with the nex, it makes a very powerful, yet compact combo.
Yesterday, I also finally got a set of macro rings. I¨ve experimented with them a bit and found the rings paired with the Industar-69 to be very decent for macro work on a budget. So I went outside today with this combination, using just the largest one of the rings and the lens and I stumbled upon an ant hill. Right next to it was a small tree stump on which 3 of the ants played. I did not have a tripod with me at the time and I was not really in the mood to lie down next to the ant hill to try to hold the camera steady, as the depth of field and shutter speed are quite a big issues for macro shots. I just flipped the nex screed up, tried to frame the ants and hoped for a good focus. All things considered, I believe to be the result quite nice.
Oh and one more thing! We participated in the sun-eclipse-madness and we managed to get away with a couple nice pictures! For anyone interested: we used Jana’s Canon 500D with 55-250 mm kit lens at it’s long end. We then stacked ND16, ND8 and ND4 filters in front of the lens, set the camera on a tripod and fired up the magic lantern firmware. If there’s one big advantage of Canon cameras, it’s the availlability to use this kind of tricks ;). We set the intervalometer to take a shot every second and we occasionally checked the camera to make sure the sun was still in the frame. I believe the setup was as easy and as cheap as it could and it yielded very nice results. However, the 250 mm telephoto is not nearly enough…not even on a crop sensor! The sun itself in the photos was about 500 px wide…but for the web, it’s sufficient. Oh and one more thing: If you’re shooting a timelapse like this, don’t forget to run the magic lantern on a fast card. The one we used was class 4 and it got stuck after first ten images and the intervals then increased to about 5 seconds. But it turned out to be sufficient (imagine the horror of having to align 3600 photos!). Anyway, here is the result:
Have a nice day